Old August 1st 07, 04:31 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.astro.seti
Joe Strout

Default Mind uploading (was Missing sial, iron, and nickel explains Fermi paradox)

In article .com,
Einar wrote:

Preciselly why industrial revolution happened may never be fully
answered. However, I read your other posts and noticed you are hoaping
mind can be copied.

I think that was me, not Ian (whom you were quoting -- and BTW, do feel
free to trim your quotes out of consideration for your readers). Here's
a web site I put up about it way back in college, when the idea was
still pretty novel: http://www.ibiblio.org/jstrout/uploading/

Personally I find it unlikelly ever to be
possible. Mind you, sure they are learning a real lot, but a large
aspect of the problem, even though a way might be found to record
thoughts being made as they are made, is that real lot of the
information stored in the brain is not thought about with regularity.

I'm afraid you're babbling nonsense here. Mind uploading has nothing to
do with recording thoughts as they're are being made. Such is probably
not possible, in any level of detail, and would not be useful (for this
purpose) even if it were.

Mind uploading begins with a detailed ultrastructural scan, the data
from which is used to configure a brain emulator to match the original
brain's functionality in every detail.

There are lots of memories, things you donīt often think about, and in
addition things that are there that you think you have forgotten but
which can be triggerd into remembrance by a chance event. All of these
things, memories that you are avare of having, and those you are not
avare of having, are part of what make you who you are, part of what
has made you who you are. Therefore, in order for a record to be the
very same personality it will have to contain it all, ellse it will
not be the same.

Quite right. And all of that is encoded in the structure of your brain.

To make this on-topic for sci.astro.seti, mind uploading brings such
obvious benefits that we can reasonably expect any technological
civilization we encounter to be already uploaded. Moreover, this
implies that their artificial bodies could be built to suit whatever
purpose is at hand -- including blending in with humans. But this is
the point at which the conspiracy theorists start bringing out their tin
foil hats, so I'd better stop.

Best,
- Joe

--
"Polywell" fusion -- an approach to nuclear fusion that might actually work.
Learn more and discuss via: http://www.strout.net/info/science/polywell/