Old January 18th 04, 12:37 AM
Charles Buckley

Scott Lowther wrote:
Charles Buckley wrote:

Scott Lowther wrote:

Matt Periolat wrote:

Oh for... see, this is what I was afraid of. Granted, something like HST cannot
last forever, but it seems we're sacrificing something....

So, fly repair missions with something other than Shuttle.

What? You mean like flying a Soyuz from Kourou?

Or D-IVs from Canaveral. Or Falcon V's from Texas. Or Pioneer
Trailblazers from Oklahoma.

It doesn't matter *how* the servicing is done or from where using what
launcher, just so's it's done economically. I mean, jeez. A Shuttle HST
mission costs $500M. Give $500M to a commercial concern, and they'll
probably be able to build and launch an entire HST-class scopesat for
that price.

I was looking more at using existing hardware, for the most
point or items that are in the pipeline. The launch vehicles
are all developed for what I was describing. The new launch site
is already in development and is projected to be online
in 2007.

Consider is a baseline cost model and mission.

What would it really cost to use Soyuz to boost Hubble in
the 2008 timeframe? Can they service the gyro's with Soyuz,
or will it require an additional launch from another source?