Old November 6th 03, 06:30 PM
Bill Bogen

Default An UltraLight plane on Mars?

(A Canuck) wrote in message . com...
If one was to be asked to design an UltraLight that would be able to
fly on Mars, what would have to change?

Would the wingspan have to change significantly?
The atmosphere is thin, but the gravity is less.

Would the propellor size have to change because of the thin atmosphere?
Would a propellor be efficient at all anyway?

Would it be better to use a balloon/blimp vehicle for controlled
exploration rather than an ultralight?

If you needed an emergency parachute for the ultralight, it would need
to be larger than one on earth?

Is there something else that is missing?
A methane powered engine?

I would propose an autogyro, a vehicle that looks like a helicopter
but the horizontal propellor turns freely (acting like a wing and
providing lift) while a vertical propeller in back propels the vehicle
forward. If it loses power, the horizontal propellor allows a gentle
landing, acting sort of like a maple seed spinning down to the ground.
Some autogyros can provide momentary power to the horizontal
propellor, allowing takeoff from a tiny area.

As for the engine, I agree with Henry that a Lox + Carbon Monoxide
engine would make best use of available resources.