Old August 5th 03, 09:39 PM
Brad Guth

Default BBCi/space forum is moderated by NASA or by their external NASA Borgs

Jonathan Silverlight wrote in message ...
In message , Jay Windley
writes

"Brad Guth" wrote in message
. com...

| though the substance of the moon itself is what
| subsequently creates secondaries, which are mostly
| of X-Ray class radiation.

That is incorrect. The secondary radiation emitted by the lunar surface
itself under normal conditions is almost immeasurably small, and it is not
generally x-rays.

Minor nitpick, but I wouldn't describe the secondary radiation as
"immeasurably small". It's fairly easily detected by orbiting
spacecraft, and it's been used for remote sensing to measure the
composition of the Moon.

Thanks so much for your feedback, as I'll apply such logic in future
corrections that lunar mass offers a highly preferable shield to that
of aluminum and, I'll even give your name (Jonathan Silverlight) as
credit for such. I've recently imposed another tit for tat that's most
likely as equally in error for regarding Earth L4/L5, in order to
further extrapolate what's at Venus L2 (VL2).

L4/L5 Space Radiation 6^4 Sv/y, 6^3 Sv/y solar minimum, Venus L2?

Some might consider Earth L4 and/or L5 as environments similar to our
moon during full sunlight, though there's a good deal of mass (3.41
g/cc) associated with the moon that's actually of greater density than
aluminum, so much so that the most recent radiation dosage charts
dealing with the amounts of secondary radiation created mostly by the
solar minimum environment that's subjecting such mass to less external
radiation influx than solar maximum, that such interaction had ott to
create somewhat more (not less) X-Ray emissions than of aluminum.

The raw non-shielded 6^3 Sv/y is an extrapolation that I based upon
the charts (con_x_dose1.pdf) provided by NASA, while another reference
of somewhat greater radiation density comes from a TRW Space Data
report. The L4/L5 environment is without Earth shade, without
magnetosphere deflection benefit and it's obviously a 24/7 timeline
that's receiving all there is from our sun as well as from whatever
other galactic sources there are.

What I'd like to learn about is how best to extrapolate and/or
estimate the Venus L2 environment. Venus L2 (VL2) had ott to be at
least somewhat shielded as similar to Earth L2, possibly not all that
much greater dosage since there's greater coverage or shade provided
by the planet itself and of it's extensive atmosphere, though I'd
hardly expect it to be of any linear probability, such as the 1.9:1
ratio of solar influx above that of Earth.

Earth L2 is roughly 6^3 Sv/y (solar maximum), 6^2 Sv/y solar minimum.

As you add shielding you obviously reduce upon the primary influx,
however you soon start increasing upon those secondaries which are
mostly of X-Ray class. Your best defence (besides getting yourself
back on Earth) against secondary radiation is volumes of low density
matter, the less density the better off you'll be with the exception
that such volume may soon become unmanageable unless you're utilizing
the natural space environment itself, such as by way of hiding
yourself sufficiently behind a very big rock, or better yet will be
that of any ice ball that you can at least somewhat control it's
trajectory into going where you want it to go, or to stay, as in the
case of being long-term stationed at any L2 position.

Until I've learned otherwise, I'm considering the possibility that VL2
is worth 9^3 Sv/y (solar maximum), 9^2 Sv/y solar minimum.

One of the reports that I'll be updating and/or entirely replacing is
this page;
http://guthvenus.tripod.com/space-radiation.htm

If you'd like credit for anything you care to offer, I'll certainly
post such credits and even insure that you receive whatever financial
benefits to go along with it. This is a win-win situation for honest
science plus all of humanity, it's morally correct and it's about
getting and sharing truths.

Regards, Brad Guth / IEIS discovery of LIFE on Venus
http://guthvenus.tripod.com