Old August 23rd 03, 12:13 PM
Painius

"Logic" wrote in message...

"Jim" wrote in message

Hi.

I understand if an open container of water is taken up to altitude
high enough, that it will boil away.

I take that to indicate when water is brought to a boil on our stove,
at sea level, that the heat actually activates or motivates the water
molecules to begin going crazy and rubbing against each other, and
creating the vapor which must escape.

But if one were to take that open, cold pot of watet to a given point
above the earth's atmosphere, would the water get hot, as it would on
the stove, while it boils away?

Thanks,
Jim

Anyone? Am I right in saying that though the water "boils" it does not
however increase in temperature? And is this srictly on-topic?

'Lo Logic 'n Jim --

Others have responded about the altitude effect on water. As far
as the on-topic question is concerned, its application may become
clear when one considers the effects of reduced pressure on the
circulatory systems of astronauts.

hth

happy days and...
starry starry nights!