Old August 11th 03, 01:21 AM
Logic

Default Q. Take an open container of water up high enough and it will boil away. . .

"Jim" wrote in message
Hi.

I understand if an open container of water is taken up to altitude
high enough, that it will boil away.

I take that to indicate when water is brought to a boil on our stove,
at sea level, that the heat actually activates or motivates the water
molecules to begin going crazy and rubbing against each other, and
creating the vapor which must escape.

But if one were to take that open, cold pot of watet to a given point
above the earth's atmosphere, would the water get hot, as it would on
the stove, while it boils away?

Thanks,
Jim

Anyone? Am I right in saying that though the water "boils" it does not
however increase in temperature? And is this srictly on-topic?