Old June 16th 09, 03:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Burnham

Default The news said it costs 2 million dollars to bring the shuttle back to Florida on the back of the 747

Seems like it would make economic sense to somehow account for extra
time in orbit. I imagine that there is a financial consideration
keeping the shuttle aloft. I guess no one has a real handle on what
it costs per day for the shuttle to stay up there beyond its scheduled
landing. I was thinking if you had supplies for an extra five days,
or maybe a week, would it pay off to wait out a storm.
--

Previous experience has shown that when orbit time is extended post-mission
the astronauts get bored and start telling off-color jokes, mooning and