Old June 15th 09, 05:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
lab~rat >:-)

Default The news said it costs 2 million dollars to bring the shuttle back to Florida on the back of the 747

On Fri, 05 Jun 2009 05:49:54 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
puked:

"lab~rat :-)" wrote in message
.. .

If you had 4 extra days in supplies, could you keep the shuttle aloft
for 4 days and spend less than 2 million?

It's not just cost - the crew's all packed up and ready to land and had been
on at least one previous occasion (as pointed out by other posters) - the
suits they wear for entry and launch can only be donned/doffed so many
times.

Seems like it would make economic sense to somehow account for extra
time in orbit. I imagine that there is a financial consideration
keeping the shuttle aloft. I guess no one has a real handle on what
it costs per day for the shuttle to stay up there beyond its scheduled
landing. I was thinking if you had supplies for an extra five days,
or maybe a week, would it pay off to wait out a storm.
--
lab~rat :-)
Do you want polite or do you want sincere?