Old September 28th 18, 07:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 4:38:37 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

None. But we can be sure of one thing: all will evolve culturally much
faster than they can evolve physically. Which means all will be
primitive animals capable of a high degree of control of nature. Like
us, toddlers running around with machine guns.

"Evolving culturally" isn't the same thing as "advancing technologically". We
could evolve culturally into more enlightened and peaceful beings.

In any case, I don't see Australia and Norway threatening each other with
nuclear weapons. Or France and the United States. So the notion that human
biology constrains us to be warlike and violent seems preposterous to me. We
know that we're capable of better.

We just had some bad luck. Unfortunately, the Stalin regime in Russia survived
World War II. Had that not been the case, we would have had a peaceful world,
where all the countries that mattered were on the same track - peaceful towards
each other, dedicated to freedom and individual rights.

So the twists and turns of human history need not have been duplicated on an
alien planet. Another civilization might never have had a conflict like the
First World War that broke up the peaceful unipolar world of the Victorian Era.

John Savard