Old September 28th 18, 05:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Neil DeGrasse Tyson headed down same loony road as Carl Sagan?

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 19:37:52 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 4:38:37 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:59:05 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 3:35:08 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 13:57:13 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

But WHERE did those processes occur?

In nature. The same nature that operates everywhere.

That didn't answer the question:

I think it did.

Let me rephrase it: did it occur on earth or elsewhere?

On Earth.

“The universe is a pretty big place.” -- Carl Sagan

ONLY if life actually developed independently here.

Which is what all the evidence supports.

"Supports" implies that other explanations are possible.

I don't suggest otherwise.

I do.

You suggest no other explanations are possible?

But I follow the evidence, and it provides no basis for thinking life
didn't originate on Earth.

A very parochial view, IMHO :-)

No. As always, I simply weigh the evidence.

You're comparing humans with nonhuman species. That may be a BIG
fallacy.

It may not be accurate. I wouldn't call it a fallacy. It seems that
the lifetime of humans will be much shorter than average. It's
reasonable to see that as the norm for all technological species.

What other "technological species" are observable other than humans?

None. But we can be sure of one thing: all will evolve culturally much
faster than they can evolve physically. Which means all will be
primitive animals capable of a high degree of control of nature. Like
us, toddlers running around with machine guns.

Unless papa comes along and takes them away from us.

There appears to be no papa in the picture.

So what if it's big. If it's the same everywhere, there's not much
reason to move around.

If ONE civilization developed early in the universe, it wouldn't be "the
same everywhere."

Sure it would. There's nothing to suggest that anyplace in the
Universe is different from anyplace else. Ever.

Not true. If an early civilization existed before others then where it
existed would be different from every place else. Consider the diffusion
equation.

Uh, no. Everywhere in the Universe is the same.