Old October 23rd 10, 04:59 AM posted to sci.space.station,sci.space.shuttle
bob haller safety advocate

Default Future Robotic Shuttles?

On Oct 22, 8:55*am, Jeff Findley wrote:
In article 96dd767b-f54d-41e2-ba37-2a55cd6d8d89
@j18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com, says...

well the shuttle is worse than flying in combat and most military
airplanes have ejection seats.

Worse than flying in combat? *No Bob, that's NOT true. *Shuttle has only
had two failures in 132 flights, which is a 1 in 66 loss of crew rate. *
That's a heck of a lot better than what our boys were facing during WW-
II. *

My grandfather was an engineer on a B-24 during WW-II and the life
expectancy of one of an air crew was extremely dismal and they had no
ejection seats (they did have parachutes though). *I know you can't
always trust the Internet for facts like this, but here it is anyway:

* * Bomber crews' tour of duty was 25 missions (later raised to 35)
* * But, the life expectancy of the average crew was just 14 missions..

Most NASA astronauts only fly one or five missions. *There is a *very*
small minority who have flown six or more missions. *No NASA astronaut
has flown anywhere near the 25 or 35 missions required to complete a WW-
II bomber crew's tour. *

Obviously, the actual risk to a single shuttle astronaut is *far* lower
than that of a WW-II bomber crew, who flew together on every one of
those missions until one of two things stopped them: *1. They were shot
down (most likely all killed) or 2. They completed their tour of duty
and went home. *

If you're going to make wild assertions that may offend combat veterans
and their families, please back up that assertion with facts and
verifiable statistical analyses.

theres no escape system on commercial airliners since most accidents
occur during takeoff or landing, and theres no way to get out during
those times

Most launch vehicle accidents occur during launch or reentry/landing
too. *You take your chances during launch and landing, and every
astronaut knows those odds and chooses to fly anyway. *Just because some
whiners like you don't like the odds is no reason to stop flying.

Jeff
--
42

jeff the less safe than combat was widely accepted and discussed right
after columbia loss.

i suppose it should of said current combat aircraft are safer than
flying in a shuttle

I feel bad for the workers that the shuttle is ending without a
replacement.

Although this was clearly a nasa management failure

if they would of choosen to fly on deltas we would be flying today