Old December 23rd 08, 06:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Dave Typinski[_3_]

Default Possible meteorite hit?

Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:31:18 GMT, "White Space Trash"
wrote:

Disgruntled neighbour?

Seriously disgruntled if they broke the concrete floor! There was an
interesting meteorwrong a couple of years ago involving a piece of iron
flung out of some sort of industrial machine a fair distance from the
impact (which was against the side of a house). You just never know.

I'm guessing disgruntled neighbor as well. A meteor just happens to
be on a trajectory that brings it through the window, *after* reaching
terminal velocity? I'm assuming a window in a wall, not a skylight.
That scenario is certainly possible, but I think "heavy object tossed
through window by kids" has a greater probability. You could easily
chip a concrete floor by tossing the head of a 10 or 15 lb
sledgehammer through someone's window.

I'm curious: what did that couple find in their garage after a search?
If it were a meteor, they oughtta be able to find pieces of meteorite
in the garage if it were heavy enough to noticeably chip the floor.

I have some blocks of solid tungsten, about 1"x2"x3". They make for
curiously heavy paperweights.

It's fun to toss them at guests to test their reaction to unexpected
density. Nice, easy, underhand throw, "here, check this out."

I dropped one on a concrete floor from about 5 feet; didn't even
burnish the tungsten, but it left a small divot in the concrete.
--
Dave