Old December 19th 03, 03:21 PM
George Dishman

Default Thanks George

"Oriel36" wrote in message
m...
(George G. Dishman) wrote in message

. com...

You made occassional
comments that didn't seem to fit with your other views, but
it was hard to find where the problem lay.

... is all historically documented
how a day is defined using the Sun alone as a reference.

That's right, the apparent (geocentric) motion of the Sun
defines the 24h day.

Without that
definition of why and how astronomers attributed an equable 24 hour
pace to the axial rotation of the Earth as this alone provides the
basis of clocks as physical rulers of distance.

You are again forgetting the contribution of the Earth's
orbital motion, oh but I forgot, you are with Ptolemy on
this.

I now understand
you have an almost Ptolemaic view of the solar system which
explains many of your errors.

The error is not in treating axial rotation as a seperate motion to
orbital motion.

Your error was in denying that orbital motion exists:

"Oriel36" wrote in message
om...
"Goes around the Sun" or 'falling around the Sun' is ill-defined,the
Earth does no such thing ..

Until you resolve this contradiction in your statements,
nothing you say will make sense. Either the Earth orbits
the Sun or it doesn't, make up your mind.

As a siderealist you treat the Earth's axial rotation
and orbital motion as one movement ...

No, that's what you just did above. When you said
"astronomers attributed an equable 24 hour pace to the
axial rotation of the Earth..", you neglected the orbital
contribution and treated it as all due to the Earth's
rotation. Of course you have to do that as long as you
deny the Earth orbits the Sun.

Since the solar day is 24h and the year is 365.25 days,
as you calculated the orbital motion of the Earth around
the Sun accounts for 3m 56s of that 24h and that leaves
only 23h 56m 4s for the rotation of the Earth. It is your
own calculation Gerald, you cannot deny it.

I became familiar long ago with the most fundamental rotation of
all,the rotation of the Earth on its axis,one full revolution
corresponding to 24 hours.You believe the value to be 23 hrs 56 min 04
sec and this constitutes an error.

It constitutes the only logical conclusion to your own
argument that the orbital motion contributes to the day,
but of course you also deny that the Earth orbits the
Sun as well as insisting I take it into account.

Along time ago, the Ptolemaic model said the Earth was
static and the Sun and stars revolved around it in 24h
and 23h 56m 4s respectively. The Copernican model that
replaced it said the Earth both spun on its axis and
revolved around the Sun. Historically our understanding
moved from no rotation to one rotation per sidereal day,
and AFAIK nobody but you has imagined the Earth rotates
360 degrees in 24h with the stars spinning round us once
a year.

George