Old February 5th 05, 01:29 AM
Fred J. McCall

Joann Evans wrote:

:Rodney Kelp wrote:
:
: Well if you had a moon base you could go and fetch an asteroid and bring it
: to the moon and process it.
:
: Why necessairily the Moon? You can't land it, any 'processing' will be
n the asteroid itself, so it might as well be a high Earth orbit.

Except most of our industrial processes work better in the presence of
at least some gravity. It makes a lot of things a lot more
convenient.

I'd think you just chuck it into a crater from on high and then go
strip mine it out. No 'landing it' necessary. Little to no
atmosphere means you can use solar furnaces for smelting.

: And 'go and fetch an asteroid' is easy to say...

Yep.

: Plus drilling and mining on the moon may
: discover all kinds of useful minerals and possibly water.
: We could do it if we only spent what is spent on cosmetics and cosmetic
: surgery which is a total waist of money on vanity.
:
: And what's wrong with vanity?

Rodney talks like someone who has never seen his girlfriend without
makeup. :-)

--George Bernard Shaw