Old February 2nd 05, 05:11 PM
Joe Strout

In article .com,
"Bounty" wrote:

Why oh why do I want to go all the way to that grey thing, when there's
more economical business to be done nearer home with the right rock
from outer space? This is a smart idea - was a smart idea... still
plain wishful thinking.

Rocks closer to Earth than the Moon are extremely rare. And when we see
one, we call it a "near miss."

Now, in terms of delta-V, there are some which are relatively cheap to
reach, though those too are pretty rare, and close encounters are even
rarer. So you'd be looking at extremely long trip times, unless you
have a very big rocket with lots of fuel to waste.

The Moon is the natural place to start for offworld development because
it is easier to reach than any other place except Earth orbit, pretty
much no matter how you look at it.

| Joseph J. Strout Check out the Mac Web Directory: |
| http://www.macwebdir.com |