Old April 12th 04, 05:24 AM
Jorge R. Frank

Default Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

John Doe wrote in :

bob haller wrote:
ISS is the largest and most complex. with the low rate of available
ot soyuz and the shuttle grounded this is different from MIR in its
prime years. This makes a camera essential to operations. no need to
rush out a airlock when wierd noises occur.

Actually, the more realistic solution is just to install additional
SSRMS grappling points that would enable the arm to be used on the
russian segment. Particularly, if it could move its end effector all
the way around the aft Progress docking port.

Actually, under the original assembly sequence, the Russians/Europeans
would have provided the SPP and ERA by now.

I don't think it would have taken megabucks to install grappling
points on each russian module and string some wires back to Z1 where
command/data/power could be provided. It is called foresight.

Having the foresight to say that Russia would fail to provide the SPP would
probably offend the Russians. They'd probably charge extra for the
privilege of installing the grapple fixtures on their hardware.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.