Old October 15th 03, 02:20 AM
Herb Schaltegger

Default Microgravity parable

In article ,
Harry Kim wrote:

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

(Stuf4) wrote:
The statement you are quoting has been accepted physics since it was
spelled out in detail in Isaac's Principia.

You and Newton on a first name basis these days?

Come on, give the guy a break. What he stated is a fact. Gravity is a FORCE.
Acceleration is the result of a force being applied to a mass. Assasinating a
character even when he says something that makes sense devalues the newsgroup.
It is, as far as I know, still in the "sci" hiearchy and not in the "psy".
Analyse the facts, not the personality.

Experiments on the station should really be relabled as "free floating"
instead of "0 g" or microgravity.

"Microgravity" should be for experiments that happen *really* far from the
earth where the gravitational force is truly "micro". As I recall, gravity at
the altitude of the space station is still fairly powerful.

The fact that gravity is still pulling objects down in the space station may
not matter for current experiments where free fall is sufficient. But later
on, when they start to study gravity seriously, it will matter.

That was so sweeping in it's supidity and ignorance that I don't even
know where to begin. Therefore, I'm not bothering to snip any of it, so
others can revel in it as well, "Ensign Kim." You just hop back aboard
Voyager and warp on off to the Delta Quadrant, 'mmm 'kay?

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer