Old August 27th 03, 08:25 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Default Columbia crew not fully suited up during reentry?

In article ,
(Derek Lyons) wrote:

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:

Pat Flannery wrote in :

Frankly, if correctly reported, this is the single most disturbing thing
I've heard
to date regarding the loss of Columbia....

Surely that's a facetious statement. There were plenty of other things in
the report that I found far more disturbing than the fact that the crew was
slow in donning equipment that wouldn't have saved them anyway.

What we are looking at here Jorge is patterns. Management wasn't
following the rules, flight controllers were not either, and now it
seems the astronauts as well?

This is a very sick system we are looking at here, and the illness
runs deeper than just management.

D.

I agree, Derek. I remember watching the reentry video some months ago
and noting how Husband (I think it was) had to remark to the others to
basically quit fooling around. He also (IIRC) reminded everyone to get
their gloves on and so forth. I remember thinking two specific things
at the time: first, he seemed a bit tense. Having never watched
another reentry video, however, I have no basis of comparison. The
second thought I had at the time was that the mission commander
shouldn't *have* to remind folks to get their gloves on or to quit
fooling around.

I realize of course that none of that made one iota's difference in the
ultimate outcome.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer