Old September 8th 07, 11:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Nova Vulpecula 2007 revisited

I've found most nova do light up a hydrogen shell that turns them
red/pink like this. That's why I went back to revisit it. I also took
a shot after a week as if it was a fast nova the shell would have shown
up quickly as the star faded greatly. Only Nova Delphinus didn't show a
hydrogen shell of the nova I've photographed. But that one was around
for 18 months which in itself is rare.

Rick

Stefan Lilge wrote:

Rick, it's amazing how much the colour of the nova has changed.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Some nova fade slowly, some rapidly. This appears to be a slow nova.
Some stay blue as they fade but those that throw out hydrogen turn red
as they fade. It appears this is a slow, hydrogen rich nova. I've tried
to match my August 10 shot to the one I grabbed last night just before
the clouds cut me off. Seeing was much better which has had an effect
on the star colors and size. Not to mention that I used 2 minute subs
for this shot and only 1 minute ones for the August shot. So they
aren't as comparable as I'd like. I discovered my error just as the
clouds rolled in so couldn't retake it to match. The far better seeing
also made a difference. Still the change from blue to red is quite
evident. It has faded from Mag 9.4 to 10.1. Only a 0.6 drop in nearly
a month. The Mira variable SS Vulpecula to the upper right faded as
well from 9.4 (same as the nova) to 9.7.

Rick