Old May 20th 20, 07:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Doug Loverro resigns as Associate Administrator for Human Exploration and Operations

In article ,
says...

Doug Loverro resigns as Associate Administrator for Human Exploration
and Operations
ERIC BERGER - 5/19/2020, 4:37 PM - Ars Technica
https://tinyurl.com/y7pd5ydx

snip

I smell Boeing.

New article:

SO LONG LOVERRO -Here's why NASA's chief of human spaceflight resigned
and why it matters. Loverro was ardently trying to fulfill his 2024
Moon landing mandate.
ERIC BERGER - 5/20/2020, 11:31 AM
https://tinyurl.com/y8j9bsc9

From above:

So Loverro was under the gun to get humans on the Moon by 2024,
he had concerns about most of the bids, and he favored integrated
launch. This means Loverro likely favored the design of Boeing's
bid for a Human Landing System, which entailed launching an
integrated lander on a "commercial" Space Launch System rocket.
It seems reasonable to assume that Loverro may have been pushing
Boeing to come up with a more competitive bid. (After the awards
were given to Blue Origin, Dynetics, and SpaceX, the agency's
"source selection statement" indicated that Boeing's bid did not
make it past a preliminary round of consideration).

When the inspector general found out about this, it likely
precipitated Loverro's resignation.

So, it looks like Loverro may have talked to Boeing during the selection
process to tell them their proposal was inadequate and needed
improvement. This is likely because Loverro does not think that
distributed launch is a viable way to get people on the moon by 2024.
But this is not at all legal and would certainly be grounds for firing
(had it gone through the IG and been proven true). So resigning was the
logical thing to do.

The irony is he fell on is sword for nothing, since Boeing was
eliminated from the competition anyway!

This is all sad, really, because I personally believe that placing your
bet on the big orange rocket has far longer odds of winning than placing
your bet on distributed launch.

Jeff