Old March 11th 14, 07:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Lord Androcles[_3_]

Default A website log of daily Sun/Sirius sightings (positions)? was NASA scuttling more space missions so it can spend more on global warming

"Don Kuenz" wrote in message ...

oriel36 wrote:

So let's see where NASA is at in understanding the Earth -

"The Earth spins on its axis about 366 and 1/4 times each year, but
there are only 365 and 1/4 days per year. This is because we define a
day not based on the Earth's period of rotation, but based on the
average time from noon one day to noon the next. Gradually over the
course of a year the Sun appears to go 'backwards' (West to East)
around the Earth compared to the far away stars (this is because we
are really going around the Sun). Subtracting this 1 time backwards
from the 366 and 1/4 times forward, we get the typical 365 and 1/4
days per year." NASA

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970714.html

I don't know what people have against the actual architecture where
the apparent motion of Sirius along the ecliptic and behind the glare
of the Sun fixes the Earth's orbital position in space with its first
appearance. The drift backwards into the Sun's glare by a 6 hour
amount of orbital motion with each 365 day cycle accumulates to an
entire rotation after 4 circuits hence the appearance skips a day.

Does anyone know of a publicly accessible website that provides a daily
log of Sun and/or Sirius sightings (positions)? TIA.

--

Don Kuenz
Dunno about a website, but a guy I know commutes daily between Tokelau Samoa

-- Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway