Old October 15th 19, 11:43 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default A conversation with Elon Musk

In article ,
says...

On 2019-10-10 06:42, Jeff Findley wrote:

This I agree with. But, I seriously doubt extensible nozzles will be
one of them.

Wouldn't 3 engines with variable nozzle weight less and cost less than 6
engines (3 optimized for vacuum and 3 for sea level) ?

Liquid fueled rocket engines don't scale linearly. Also, you need the
three smaller sea level engines for landing on earth.

Starship is optimized for low cost, not "highest performance". This is
a DC-3, not a Spitfire.

Jeff