Old March 18th 09, 08:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Default Atomic ramjet for exploring Titan

The radiation need not spew anywhere - much of that was mis-reported
to make the ideas contained in the project seem outlandish. That was
done to prevent folks from working on them when we decided not to.

Fact is, we can build nuclear filaments as easily as we now build
light bulb filaments and surround them with TPV stacks of tremendous
efficiency to create very powerful very lightweight very clean power
sources - to drive all manner of electric engines. The Navy is
already working on a miniature nuclear sub and adapting this
technology provides a means to power lots of different vehicles and
appliances without any central power or fuel supply - for periods of
decades or more.