Old March 30th 04, 01:30 PM
Davoud

Default Hoagland debunked, Creationism stomped, we're on a roll!

Thad Floryan:
With Hoagland debunked at www.badastronomy.com, we have yet another victory
thanks to massive funding from the National Science Foundation and the
Howard Hughes Medical Institute!
UC Berkeley has taken the grant funds to debunk cretinism, er, creationism,
at a truly remarkable web site.
The full story is he
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/03/29/MNGQV5SIDC1.DTL
and their incredible web site is he
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/
Don't let the title of UCB's web site fool you. There's a great explanation
of what science really is, and many of the examples are astronomy related
so this is on-topic.
Way to go, UCB! And thank you NSF and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute!

Very good, indeed! They're preaching to the choir, but it is a large
choir, and UCB's cogent presentation should provide ammunition to sway
open-minded fence-sitters.

Don't making the mistake of thinking that creationists are just
ignorant; that's too benign a description. One of the foundation stones
of creationism, and part of the foundation of ultra-conservatism
everywhere, is racial hatred (read: fear). There are quite a few people
who will never accept our brotherhood with the people of Africa and
worse yet, that our species originated in Africa; and who, in their own
circles, still call non-whites "the ****** race."

The UCB site is certainly a big step in the right direction, because
education is the key to ending ignorance -- education with the law
behind it to prevent creeping creationism in the public schools. "I
don't care what your Daddy says; he's entitled to his opinion. But
we're here to explore the truth, and the truth is..." And we need to
get away from the phrase "Theory of Evolution," because "theory" is a
word that the religious right has seized upon and twisted the meaning
of. I like the name "Property of Evolution," because I maintain that
evolution is a property of life -- evolving is simply what living
things do.

Thanks for the info.

Davoud

--