Old July 14th 03, 04:24 AM
JOHN PAZMINO

Default Whats in the sky toda

T From:
T Subject: Whats in the sky today
T Organization: SBC
http://yahoo.sbc.com
T Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:54:44 GMT
T Tell me what in the sky tonight.
T Observation Period: 7/10/2003 12:00 PM -
T 7/11/2003 12:00 PM
T Location: Los Angeles, Unit
T Latitude: 34° 3' N
T Longitude: 118° 15' W
T Sunset: 8:05 PM
T Start of Darkness: 9:49 PM
T End of Darkness: 4:07 AM
T Sun rises 5:51 AM
T Moon rises 5:23 PM
T Moon sets 3:25 AM
T Moonphase: Waxing gibbous, 1
.. . .

The question I ask, for your table and similar from assorted
ehmeris programs, is this:

Are the rise and set times of a body )other than the Sun) those
WITHIN the SAME 24 hour period consitituting the instant 'day'? Or are
they the SUCCESSIVE hours even if a one of the other falls into an
ADJACENT day?
In the exmaple above, Did the Moon set at 5:23 AM ON THE 11th OR
WILL it set at 5:23 AM ON THE 12th? This drives me nuts all the time.
In some cases I have to mechanicly cycle the sky round to a moon rise
or moon set and physicly read the hour and day.
The problem is that we think of a body first rising and then some
time later it sets. If the rise hour precedes the set hour it's pretty
well to say that the two events happened within the same calendar day.
When the set hour precedes, the ambiguity pops up.

---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P005004