Old December 23rd 06, 04:39 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default About the chute

"Vandar" wrote in message
Is the primary function of the chute to drop the nose or to slow the
Shuttle, or a combination of the two? I noticed it was jettisoned shortly
after the nose touch down, so I'm wondering what the primary purpose of
the chute is.

Slow down the orbiter before it puts down the nose landing gear (which isn't
built as strongly as they'd like due to weight reasons.)

As a follow-up: What is the actual distance the Shuttle needs from touch
down to wheels stop? I know optimal runway length is a couple miles, but
it looked like that thing came to a stop rather quickly. Does it only use
half the length of the strip?
Would an extra (or larger) chute help shorten the required runway length,
similar to what you see in drag racing?

Possibly, but also add weight for little benefit.

You can hit me with the technical jargon if need be. I'm not intimately
familiar with the program, but I'm a devout follower and have lurked
around these parts for years.

Pick up a copy of Jenkin's "Space Shuttle". 3rd Edition if you can get it.
(which shouldn't be too hard.)

Thanks.