Old September 7th 05, 09:37 PM
Damon Hill

wrote in news:1126122573.209251.293950
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just found out that Cassini will *never* fly close enough to get a
picture of the rings that resolves individual particles (large rocks or
ice chunks). Why not?? We spend millions to send a probe some
kazillion miles away and we don't even visit the best sites. It is
like going to the Grand Canyon on vacation but never leaving the hotel
room. Unbelievable!!

Sounds like an end-of-mission goal, when the chance of damaging
the spacecraft is less unacceptable. That assumes, of course, that
it's possible to fly close enough to image small rocks.

I don't think that's possible, for various reasons.

--Damon