Old February 15th 05, 01:34 AM
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 01:19:03 GMT, Eric Johnson
wrote:

My primary observing site is on the deck behind my two storey home.
Aside from blocking a substantial portion of the northern sky, I have no
way of aligning my equatorial mount with Polaris. Can anyone suggest
ways I can reliably get my scope polar aligned in with this arrangement?

Get it close with a compass, then drift align. If you don't leave the
scope outside, be sure to provide some reference marks so you can set
things up in the same position again.

If you are just using the scope for visual work, the compass alone is
probably enough. If you are doing imaging, Polaris won't get you close
enough anyway. On the whole, I've never found Polaris useful at all for
polar alignment.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com