Old August 14th 04, 11:51 PM
Davoud

MikeThomas:
is completely dependent on timing. It is just easier if people report
observations of any kind in UTC. People should know what their local
offset is whether it is Daylight or standard, PDT, MST, MDT, EDT,
Europe, China or Antartica!!

So in what time zone(s) are the north and south poles located? Both
points are on every meridian and on no meridian.

For one thing, to do a polar alignment, you have to know your local time
meridian offset and whether you are east or west of it.

I drift-align my Questar without reference to any time at all. After
the alignment I need to know the R.A. of a star -- any visible star --
in order to move my R.A. setting circle to the correct position as a
reference for finding other objects of known R.A. But I still don't
need to know what time it is in Tuguegarao* or Shibam-Kawkaban**, or,
indeed, where on earth I am.

Davoud

* generally poor for deep sky, good for solar system
** great skies, but a dangerous place

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com