Old February 19th 10, 05:52 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Halmyre[_2_]

Default The perpetual calendar

On 19 Feb, 09:12, John Atkinson wrote:
Halmyre wrote:
On 19 Feb, 04:58, "Ray O'Hara" wrote:
"Andrew Usher" wrote in message

Owing to the inconveniences which attend the shifting of the calendar,
and attempting in passing to create a more perfect Church calendar, I
say the following:
1. That Christmas day should be fixed to a Sunday, and this should be
the Sunday between Dec. 21 and 27, and that in all civilised countries
the Monday should be considered a holiday, or the Saturday if not
normally.
2. That similarly Easter day should be fixed to the Sunday which is 15
weeks following Christmas.
3. That the leap year rule be changed to have a leap year occur every
fourth save that it be delayed when the leap year would start on a
Thursday, and that this gives 7 leap years in every 29, which is near
enough.
4. That the perpetual calendar can be made, by considering the first
day of the year of weeks to occur on the Sunday after the Assumption,
and if this is the first possible calendar day, it is called week 1,
and otherwise week 2, and every year runs through week 53. And this
calendar ensures that everything can be fixed to a day of a certain
week, in particular the American Thanksgiving must be made 31 days
before Christmas.
6. This is surely the best possible arrangement that can be made,
without disturbing the cycle of weeks or that of calendar days
inherited from the Romans.
Andrew Usher
The calendar has several sources, not just the Rome and the onewe habe in
fine as it is

I just wish they'd settle on a date for Easter and be done with it.

But, the whole point of Easter is that it has a full moon! *You might as
well scrap the whole thing otherwise. *Or are you suggesting that we
only take holidays at Easter every four years or so, when your “settled”
date just happens to correspond with the right lunar phase?

We don't have Christmas only when there's a bright star in the east.

It's like saying "I was born on a Wednesday, so I'll only celebrate my
birthday when it falls on a Wednesday".

--
Halmyre