Old February 19th 10, 05:06 PM posted to sci.math,sci.physics,sci.astro,sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Peter T. Daniels

Default The perpetual calendar

On Feb 19, 11:52*am, Evan Kirshenbaum wrote:
"Peter T. Daniels" writes:

On Feb 19, 4:34 am, James Hogg wrote:
My Book of Common Prayer makes things easy by pointing out that
"the moon referred to in the definition of Easter Day is not the
actual moon of the heavens, but the Calendar Moon, or Moon of the
Lunar Cycle, which is counted as full on its fourteenth day,
reckoned from the day of the Calendar New Moon inclusive." Also, in
a Bissextile Year "the number of Sundays after Epiphany will be the
same, as if Easter Day had fallen one day later than it really
does."

Which is why Easter and Passover rarely coincide -- we happen to have
had a spate of coincidence in recent years, but that'll soon be over.

Which years were those? *I had thought that the current Easter rules
made it impossible for it to fall on the 15th of Nissan.

I think it was two years ago that the first night of Passover was on
Holy Thursday (or vice versa), which precisely reproduced the
historical occasion.

Why would the "current" Easter rules have such a restriction? There's
certainly nothing about it in the several pages of small type in the
front of the Book of Common Prayer (1928), which I read plenty of
times while waiting for Morning Prayer to end.