Old January 17th 05, 06:27 AM
Joe D.

"Sam Wormley" wrote in message
news:_jIGd.10927$OF5.9745@attbi_s52...
Thank you.
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...2372.As.r.html

"I bring this up because there can be ridiculously high temperatures in
the Universe, but they don't mean much!

And that is exactly my point. It would be absurd to plug that
temperature (OR the 100 million C from the ITER fusion reactor)
into the Boltzman equation, look at resultant watts, and
make conclusions about lethal distance.

Yet that is what the original illustration does.

The Boltzman equation is an accurate translation of temperature to radiant
power, assuming perfect emissivity, plus infinite power is available to
maintain the temperature of the 1 mm^3 pinhead on earth.

It is not in any way reflective of what a pinhead of solar core material
would do on earth, any more than a pinhead of ITER plasma or a
pinhead of Uranus magetosphere.