Old December 23rd 03, 02:59 AM
Greg Neill

"Dark Helmet" wrote in message
t...

Greg, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
Now, this leads me to a few more questions. First, what exactly is space
then that allows it to expand faster than than the speed of light?

Well, that's the $64,000 question. A definitive answer to that
would require a grand unifying Theory of Everything. The best
we can do right now is turn to the General Theory of Relativity
and Maxwell's equations for its properties. It boils down to
a handful of properties, such as permitivity and permeability
and curvature. It has no mass, stiffness, or other mechanical
properties.

Second,
since light is travelling through expanding space and all space is
expanding, would light only travel at a relative speed of c in an
infinitesimally small area of space? For example, light leaving my monitor
screen at this moment is in a portion of space that is expanding away from
me, although small, so this light will really not reach me at a true speed
of c. Thoughts?

You would measure a difference in speed if the space between you
and your monitor were expanding. Alas, it is not. The space
occupied by gravitationally bound systems does not participate
in the overall expansion. That means that the space encompassing
us, the planet, the solar system, the galaxy, and the local
galactic cluster is not participating in the expansion.