Old September 20th 05, 01:53 AM

Why geology is so different from other sciences, say, astronomy? You
don't have to climb to the observation dome and spend a cold night
there anymore. You rely on the data collected automatically.

There is number factor as well. Compare a 1000 geologists investigating
phenomenon remotely, versus one of the spot. Given adequate quality of
remote observation, it is more likely that some of those 1000
geologists would find something interesting, that would escape the guy
on the spot.

dasun wrote:
Moore's law is great, but can it go on forever? How long before we
can build artificial intelligence as good as our own? What about the

Given the average intelligence of the average Usenet poster, I bet that
within 10 years we'll have Usenet bots indistingusheable of humans.

What about the
reasons for heading up, after all planetary disasters do happen and
colonising other worlds is the best long-term bet for our species.

Yes, but you have to approach it with rational thinking. How much a
trip to mars costs? It will be such for a long time, if we continue
rely on chemical propulsion engines. Wasting $100B on reincarnated moon
landing problem solves nothing.