Old September 18th 04, 06:31 AM
John Doe

Derek Lyons wrote:
There is considerable difference between heat and the fire that
occurred on MIR.

If materials become too hot in an O2 rich environment, it will burn. If the
chemical reaction is not controlled and happens too quickly, then the O2
candle will become too hot and burn.

So 'effin what? There was never a search to determine clearly what
caused the fire.

And how, may I ask, can you make such a statement ? Were you working for the
russians and directly involved with the russian O2 candle management at the
time it happened ?

That's an assumption utterly unsupported by any evidence. In fact,
what evidence is available indicates that the Russians did no such
thing.

And what evidence do you have to support your assertion ?

The fact that there is now betterc ontrol over expiration dates for candles
indicates that SOME changes were made to O2 candle handling and management.
Did they fix all of the possible causes, I don't know and I suspect you don't know.

The fact that some ISS crewmembers were, at one time, nervous about using
candles that were CLOSE to their expiry dates indicates that there is still
nervousness, but when they were used, they didn't turn into flame throwers.