Old October 19th 04, 12:39 PM
Peter Webb

"Albert" wrote in message
Thank you, but I cannot find any answer in the web site.
We see the light from the sun which was emitted 8 minutes ago.
The light emitted 10 minutes ago cannot be seen.

The question is at what distance are we from the point of big bang ?
If it is 10 billion light years, then we can see what happened in the past
at that point 10 billion years ago, but there is probably nothing left
there. The matter has gone away, and the interesting information has
travelled past us during the travel to reach a distance of 10 billion
light years ...

Firstly, the big bang happened everywhere simultaneously - there was no
centre. The standard analogy is that of a balloon being inflated from a
point - any point on the surface could be considered as the centre of the
expansion. If you imagine a dot on the balloon, at the start all of the
balloons surface is right next to the point, and as the balloon expands it
appears (to anybody at the point on the ballloon) that all otheer points are
receding away from it. Any point on the balloon can equally well be
considered the centre. So which ever way you look you are looking in the
direction of the centre of the big bang, and if you look far enough (back in
time) you are seeing the big bang itself.

As to the distance away it is, same argument. If the big bang happened 15
billion years ago, and you look in any direction, what you will see 15
billion light years away is the big bang.

Its actually a little more complicated than this, as you may imagine, but
this is the basic argument.

HTH

Peter Webb