Old October 19th 04, 08:51 AM
Albert

Thank you, but I cannot find any answer in the web site.
We see the light from the sun which was emitted 8 minutes ago.
The light emitted 10 minutes ago cannot be seen.

The question is at what distance are we from the point of big bang ?
If it is 10 billion light years, then we can see what happened in the
past at that point 10 billion years ago, but there is probably nothing
left there. The matter has gone away, and the interesting information
has travelled past us during the travel to reach a distance of 10
billion light years ...

starlord wrote:
Simple, does not our own star ( the sun ) shine all the time? Those Stars
where shining for many many millions of years. So while we are looking at a
star that's maybe 12 billion lightyears away, we are most likly seeing the
light that it released anytime during it's long lift span.

--

"And for the second time in four million years, the monolith awoke."
Arthur C.Clarke 2062dyssey three

SIAR
http://starlords.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.netfirms.com/

"Albert" wrote in message

Can someone help me understand this ?

The powerful telescopes are supposed to see in the past.
OK, I get thet. If you look at a distant star, you catch the light it
emitted one year ago if it is at one light-year distance.
But you cannot see the light it emitted 2 years ago, for that light has
already travelled past you.
Correct ?
Now, some say they can watch light coming from stars created just after
the big bang.
This I cannot understand, because that light should have travelled past
us already, from the original point.

Please explain ...

---