Old November 2nd 17, 01:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gerald Kelleher

Default The First Known Interstellar Comet

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 1:28:10 PM UTC, Mike Collins wrote:

The unremarkable clunky software Oriel is using to show the zodiacal motion
of the sun

The software hasn't been developed yet to show the transition of celestial objects from an evening appearance to a morning appearance or from left to right of the stationary Sun. It subtracts all daily rotational components and all associated jargon of risings/settings with a simple perspective that allows proof of the Earth's orbital motion.

How do you know the Earth's orbits the Sun using the field of stars ?. The answer is found in the transition as the stars appear to move parallel to the orbital plane -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQw...s&pbjreload=10

The Greeks had worked off the motion of the Sun through the Zodiac but the older system was the seasonal appearance of the stars and especially the brightest star out there. The original Sun centered astronomers inherited the Greek framework hence the difficulties with the direct/retrograde motions of Venus and Mercury that are easily accounted for by the older perspective relying on the seasonal appearance of the stars rather than the motion of the Sun.

Just as I thanked Paul Alsing for not putting words in my mouth, you descend to those fools who can't help themselves forcing my words into your own conceptions.