Old November 11th 18, 02:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default Rocket Lab's big 'It's Business Time' launch targets this weekend for takeoff

In article ,
says...

At $22000 per kg the launch costs aren't particularly revolutionary.

For small launches, the total price for the launch is arguably more
important. Yes if you have a small sat to launch you can theoretically
get a better price by ride sharing on a larger launch. But if you do
that you're beholden to both the orbit and launch schedule of the
primary payload. Breaking away from both of those hard restrictions is
worth something to customers with smallsats.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me to see Rocket Lab competing in the DOD's
rapid launch competition (whatever it's officially called). In that
case, DOD wants a company that can launch from multiple sites (announced
"at the last minute") in a short period of time.

While I still think cost per kg to orbit is a good metric, it tends to
cover larger launchers better than the smallsat launchers.

Jeff