Old June 13th 07, 01:46 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.policy
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

Default Maximum Rate Shuttle Launches

"Derek Lyons" wrote in message
"Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)" wrote:

After a year or so though, you start to hit into things like scheduled
maintenance (OMDP,)

That's not a problem for a sustained rate - because it's merely a
scheduling issue. It sounds like your write up was more based on 'how
long could a surge be maintained and how high would the surge rate
be'.

Partly yes. I didn't get to deep into how long a surge you could really
maintain etc.

I partly see the whole thing as a chicken and an egg problem.

Flights cost a lot, so you want to make sure you have as "full" a mission as
possible.

Which reduces the number of missions you might fly in a year. But of course
since fixed costs are just that and incremental costs are more variable, you
drive up the costs of individual flights, making them cost more, etc. :-)

In general though from my idle musing, 12-16 was definitely doable with some
investment (say a few billion) but did not require 10s of billions or
anything.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

--
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting Remote and Onsite available!