Old March 20th 13, 09:18 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jochem Huhmann

Default Curiosity and other rovers issues with flash memory

"Greg (Strider) Moore" writes:

Do these rovers have any sensors to measure solar radiation ? Seems this
is an important metric to have if one is ever going to be building
shelters for humans to camp in during the first mars expedition.

Given we have found bacteria living in the water of nuclear reactors,
I'm sure stuff could survive on Mars. Especially since it most likely
had a heavier atmosphere millennia ago.

And given memory on Earth can be affected by radiation and we have
plenty of life (not always intelligent life) I think Mars would do
fine.

Any life on Mars would be underground for more than one reason and
protected from this.

And there is even life down here (and not that primitive life either)
that is fairly unimpressed by such levels of radiation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrades

Nice image he http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/12855775

Evolution does wonderful things.

Jochem

--
"A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no
longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away."