Old April 21st 08, 08:07 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Soyuz TMA-11 Comes Home, More or Less...

wrote:

Just wondered,if this was the most ofcourse "landing" since Scott
Carpenter,got rather busy in 1962 ?

That's got to be the record-holder outside of "Wrong-Way Corrigan":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Corrigan
.....Irish-American hero.
Aye, lad; that's the very spirit of the Blessed Mother Isle!
I baptize my tongue with a drop of the fine old poteen, so as to better
and more eloquently sing your praises! :-D
Stories still vary as to whether the Soyuz came down in the USSR, or
slightly over the border into China.
The paraphrased communications from the Soyuz to mission control were
supposed to be something also:
"We are going out of control!"
"We indicate your ascent profile is normal."
"We are going end-over-end!"
"Are you sure?"
"**** you!" :-D
They did set the all-time record for deceleration and survived manned
reentry..._21.3_ G's:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_18a
The Soyuz may have a history of doing odd and dangerous things, but by
God, is that one tough little SOB.
It's going to do its damnedest to get you down alive, even it you end up
rolling down a mountainside like in this case, or getting most of your
front teeth knocked out, like on Soyuz 5:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soyuz_5
Boy, I wish the Shuttle was that robust.
"Columbia belly-lands on Texas cattle ranch; 'May need major repairs'
NASA states. Crew 'shaken and bruised'."

Pat