Old August 7th 03, 03:33 AM
J. Scott Miller

Default blackholes existing within close proximity?

Joseph Devaney wrote:
from the little research that I have done and looked over about
blackholes, I is to my understand that the bigger the body, the larger
the graviational pull would be to pull in other objects.

my question stems to this. is it possible for 2 (or more) blackholes to
exist withn a close proximity. the gravitational collapse of a star or
even greater, a galaxy does cause a blackhole, unless I am mistaken...
but, say it were to happen in close proximity of another star? say 2
stars begin a gravitational collapse at the same time?

It is thought that the conditions in the core of galaxies and possibly globular
clusters would allow black holes (and white dwarfs and neutron star) to form in
close proximity to each other when compared to the stellar distances in our
neighborhood. In particular, mergers of black holes with other black holes,
with neutron stars, with white dwarfs, with gas that would have otherwise
possibly collapsed and formed into stars, and possibly even with stars
themselves are highly probable and may help explain the observation of what
appear to be supermassive black holes at the cores of some galaxies and globular
clusters where such observations have been done.

will one star more rapidly collapase, thus "sucking" the other star into
its force? or do they for lack of a better term, happily co-exist?

There is at least one known example of coorbiting pulsars (rotating neutron
stars), so there would be no exclusion of this possibility with black holes. As
to whether they would each evolve independent of each other and remain in orbit
after becoming black holes as they were as individual stars, or whether they
will merge, or whether one will form first and strip material from its partner
all depends on initial distances and mass of the stars prior to that formation.