Old June 29th 19, 07:39 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Niklas Holsti

Default Commercial Crew

On 19-06-29 21:07 , Fred J. McCall wrote:
Niklas Holsti wrote on Sat, 29 Jun
2019 13:46:13 +0300:

On 19-06-29 07:25 , Fred J. McCall wrote:
Niklas Holsti wrote on Fri, 28 Jun
2019 22:44:30 +0300:

On 19-06-28 19:25 , Fred J. McCall wrote:

If the abort test is at Max Q I don't think this makes any
difference anyway, since you're not really 'accelerating' at Max
Q.

I don't recall seeing any pause, at Max Q, in the growth rate of
the Falcon 9 "velocity" reading in the numerous Falcon 9 launch
videos I've watched, so I find it hard to believe that the vehicle
stops accelerating at that point.

https://space.stackexchange.com/ques...y-after-launch

The acceleration graph shown there for CRS/Dragon missions never falls
below about 0.53 g, so it is indeed still accelerating at Max Q. From
the behaviour before and after Max Q it seems that without the
throttle-down for Max Q the acceleration at that altitude would still be
less than 1 g, so the throttle-down cuts acceleration in half, but not
more than that.

Whoop-d-****ing-doo! Now, what's the acceleration of the capsule on
abort?

Hint: When Dragon commands an abort the engines on the booster shut
down and acceleration is negative. Aerodynamics break up the launch
vehicle shortly after separation. Meanwhile, Dragon is capable of a
6+g slap in the ass...

Probably rather less in the face of Max Q drag forces. But probably more
than 0.5 g, so ok.

--
Niklas Holsti
Tidorum Ltd