Old December 9th 18, 11:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default 46P, can't see

On Sunday, December 9, 2018 at 2:38:27 AM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
I live in the city, major light pollution, could not see 46P with my 80mm APO, mounted on NexStar GT goto.
I know my GOTO points to the right location. I slew the scope in auto between Aldebaran and other 2 stars, like Mira back and forth, all came in to the center of my eyepiece.
Alt/Az kind of suck, coordinates all ways changing.
Day before tried it with my 50 mm bino, no luck to see it either.
Is it still hard to see this comet?

I, too, live in the city (San Diego), and last night I glimpsed the comet in my 10 X 50 binos... but it was *very* subtle, just a small, soft glow. I had to use every trick in the book to verify that I was really seeing it, my favorite being to slowly scan back and forth, which helps to discern the brightening from the background. I was very confident of the exact location, having enlisted SkyTools to plot the comet's location on a star chart and printing it for use outside.

As I write this, 46P/Wirtanen is about 5.5° SE of Menkar (alpha Cetus) and tomorrow night it will be about 4.5° almost due east of that same star, and either night both should be in the same field of view for most binoculars.