Old November 19th 06, 05:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson

Default ASTRO: wide-field centered on Scutum star cloud

Not too red on my monitor. Much better than before, still seems a bit
green to me. See what others say. RAW eats memory cards but has no
loss. I don't have a good digital camera that goes into the dark so
never played with sky images. Guess I should get one as up here we have
some nice aurora and with the sun about to start up the next cycle I
should be ready. Still have the old film cameras but no darkroom any
more. I don't feel right letting someone else develop my film after 40
years of doing it myself. But no developer rash on the fingers any
more! I never could use tongs.

Rick

George Normandin wrote:
"Rick Johnson" wrote

For some reason that one is very green. Don't think you have any light
pollution there from what you say so don't understand where it came
from..........

Rick,

How's this? Less green, but is it too red?

There's no light pollution other than natural sky glow. The moon was just
below the horizon. I ran the color thru a "color stretching" routine in IRIS
and that might have added too much green. Otherwise I just took what came
out of the camera since this was the first time I've used it. I believe some
folks have done some testing and have recommended color adjustments for the
Canon Rebel, and I could have adjusted for the altitude, but this camera
cuts off red so much I'm not sure what I'd get. If I use this camera in
future I'll probably save the files in RAW to have better data to work with.

George N