Old July 15th 03, 07:09 AM
Christopher M. Jones

Default Is Joe Barton Right (Stop STS)?

"Brian Thorn" wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:49:40 -0500, "Christopher M. Jones"
wrote:
But airliners have been known to kill people on the ground. No manned
spacecraft ever has. So why not ban airliners from flying over
populated areas?

That's an erroneous argument.

The whole argument is erroneous, that's my point.

I'm not out of order, YOU'RE out of order!

Errr, and by that I mean, ok, that's all fine and good but
I think it's probably worth the extra words to argue
directly against the argument than to raise a false
argument that you think is along the same lines and is
equally erroneous. It's like those people asking why we
haven't bombed North Korea yet but who don't really want
us to bomb North Korea at all.

Even if manned spaceflight was 10x more
likely to kill people on the ground than airplanes,
you wouldn't expect any deaths yet based on the small
number of manned spaceflights.

Then why bother trying to ban it?

There's this thing where people pop in and out of
threads and where sub-threads drift off topic and end
up being skewed from or sometimes entirely different
from the original topic. We call it usenet. Do try
to keep up. =)

Also, rocket launches over populated areas *have*
killed people before, just ask the Chinese.

The Chinese deny it. Gotta love 'em.

Well of course, if they admitted it it'd be even worse
PR, and it was bad enough as it was.