Old January 22nd 18, 10:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default No Significant Relief from Global Warming

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:50:28 -0800 (PST), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

India will be decreasing soon, like China.

India is way behind China in development. How many solar panels
are made in India?

India can use solar panels that are not made in India.

And we should look at per capita production, not absolute
amounts, when it comes to designing policy.

That seems like pure baloney to me. It's not what you or I
generate. It's the absolute amounts that dictate the increase
in CO2 in the atmosphere.

It is. But it's the amount used by every individual that can be
used to change behavior and create sound public policy.

The economy of the world is based on energy, and there is no
future to fossil fuel based energy.

In the long run, yes. But the ranting is about the short term.
As I said, if GW is due to CO2 levels, we are screwed because
the only way for 3rd world countries to get ahead is to use
fossil fuels, and that's what they're doing.

If just the developed countries significantly reduce their CO2
levels over the next few decades, that will be a huge help. Yes,
we're in trouble no matter what since we've waited too long and
CO2 persistence is long. That's no reason to reduce our efforts,
though.

As developed countries improve alternatives,
less developed countries will certainly follow.

Less developed countries don't have the money.

Wind and solar are already the cheapest energy sources in many
places, and they're the only types of energy that are getting
cheaper over time. They will be the most affordable for all
countries in the near future.

Is either actually cheaper without subsidies? (Both apparently -
it's hard to measure - receive a *lot* more subsidies per MWh than
conventional generating technology.)

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland: