Old May 17th 17, 11:04 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley[_6_]

Default RD-180 relplacement

In article ,
says...
Well, we may see soon whether the private sector can launch to the
Moon or Mars at 1/10 the cost of NASA. If a multi-billionaire can
spare $5 or $10 billion donated to the effort obviously that will
help the taxpayers! :-)

Of course, they will able to take advantage of already existing
processing and launch facilities at KSC.

Do note that SpaceX has leased Pad 39A (anyone was allowed to bid on
that) and do note that they have built a lot of their own facilities
(buildings, strong-back for the launcher, horizontal transporter,
landing pads, and etc.) to go along with that. It's not like SpaceX
moved into the VAB and took over the former shuttle processing facility.

There really isn't much of a "free lunch" there. Other US launch
providers had the same opportunity to bid on leasing Pad 39A. Other US
launch providers also have the opportunity to lease pads ad Cape
Canaveral (just as SpaceX leases pad 40).

What SpaceX never had was the $1 billion dollar per year guaranteed
revenue that used to be part of the ULA EELV deal with the US
Government. That was "taking advantage" of the US Government in a far
more lucrative way than SpaceX ever has and never resulted in any
significant innovations that reduced the cost of the EELVs. Why would
it? The incentive was never there to reduce costs!

What about the Manned Spaceflight Center? That was and is a massive
government program to provide the infrastructure and human training
for manned spacecraft, and provided Mission Control for each mission.
Who will perform that and fund that with private sector launches to
the Moon or Mars?

I'm sure NASA will get to continue to train its astronauts pretty much
anyway it wants. If it thinks there is value in things like continuing
to let the pilots fly T-38 jet aircraft on the government's dime in the
interest of keeping up their flight hours, then more power to them.

Jeff