Old June 15th 04, 07:34 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

Default Isolating the direction of the Earth's orbital motion

In message , Oriel36
writes
I have requested an astronomer of distinction to handle a heliocentric
treatment of the material,despite the fact that it is not at all
difficult to determine the disasterous maneuvering of Flamsteed no
such astronomer has come forward.I cannot therefore be faulted for
taking it to a group of people who can handle the material which
predates the gravitational agenda of Newton and resolve the issue as
to why there exists dual rotation rates for the Earth and why the 23
hour 56 min 04 sec value and the method by which that value is
ascertained is incorrect.

Instead of flogging this dead horse any more, could you post Flamsteed's
text, instead of links to a simplified description of sidereal time and
an even more simplified picture of an elliptical orbit. Your links don't
mention him.
For the umpteenth time (Hah - my spell checker accepts that :-) the 23
hour 56 minute 04 second value is measured, and the 24 hour value is a
convention to allow days and hours of constant length.
I've been corrected as to whether Newton was writing about relativity
(and I'm rather disappointed !) but he did understand the Equation of
Time.

[Mod. note: quoted text trimmed -- mjh]

--
What have they got to hide? Release the Beagle 2 report.
Mail to jsilverlight AT merseia.fsnet.co.uk is welcome.